TORONTO — Hang tight, the winners of this year’s cancelled Juno Awards will still be announced, but it won’t be any time soon.

Organizers behind the annual celebration of Canadian music say they’ve decided to “hold off indefinitely” on revealing who picked up the trophies, as the country deals with the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Junos were originally slated to be handed out earlier this month in Saskatoon, part of several days of events that culminated in a televised awards show on March 15.

But everything was scrapped on the morning it was supposed to kick off, as Juno organizers faced outside pressure to stop promoting large public gatherings.

In announcing the cancellation, Juno organizers said the decision was made with guidance from local tourism and provincial health authorities.

Around the same time, other Canadian music events were also cancelled or postponed, including the East Coast Music Awards and the Canadian Folk Music Awards.

On Monday, the planners of the folk awards said they would take the show to Facebook on April 4. Instead of a live event, they will stream a webcast an edited production naming the winners, announced by various presenters from their homes.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 25, 2020.

Follow @dfriend on Twitter.

David Friend, The Canadian Press

Filed under: JUNO, JUNO Awards